- Dog NameSilken Windhound
- Country of OriginUnited States of America (USA)
- Other NamesSilken
- Scientific NameCanis lupus familiaris
- Breed TypeHound
- Breed ForHunting
- Min Life Span14
- Max Life Span20
- Min Ideal Weight for male12
- Max Ideal Weight for male21
- Min Ideal Weight for feminine9
- Price DetailIf you undertake a rescued canine from a rescue and adoption middle, the fee may solely embody the vaccinations, adoption, and canine license price.
- TemperamentFriendly, Loving, Adaptable
- Intelligent Rank4
- Sensitivity Level4
- Affection Level5
- Social Needs4
- Watchdog Ability1
- Biting PotentialLow
- Prey DriveYes
- Apartment FriendlyHigh
- Fighting DogNo
- Stranger FriendlyHigh
- Child FriendlyHigh
- Cat FriendlyMedium
- Dog FriendlyHigh
- Office FriendlyMedium
- Senior Citizens FriendlyYes
- Service DogNo
- Search and Rescue DogNo
The Silken Windhound which appears like a smaller model of the Borzoi is a really loving, lively, and sleek canine breed. This lovely canine is a medium-sized sighthound that has the power to run quick and with grace. It has a clean, medium-length coat that appears beautiful in addition to is delicate to the touch. Weekly grooming is required to maintain its coat delicate and silky.
If you might be in search of a loving canine breed that may cuddle with you on a sofa in addition to actively take part in your common actions, Silken Windhound is ideal for you. It does finest in an condominium in addition to in a home with large yards and a loving and vigorous household.
Origin and History
The Silken Windhound was created not so way back with the combination of Borzois and Whippets. It was bred when a breeder named Francie Stull needed a breed that has the Whippet look but additionally has a stunning coat just like the Borzoi. So she then crossed them each and that’s how the primary Silken Windhound was born in 1985 and the title was given in 1998.
The United Kennel Club acknowledged this breed as a sighthound in 2011 and the American Kennel Club is but to acknowledge it. Today the recognition of this breed has grown worldwide and never simply within the United States.
Is Silken Windhound Child-Friendly?
The Silken Windhound loves enjoying with children and being round them. They make a superb companion for them as a consequence of their playful and type nature. However, shut supervision is really useful, so there isn’t a tough conduct or accidents from both facet.
Temperament, Personality, and Behavior
Temperament: The temperament of the Silken Windhound is pleasant, loving, and lively. They will not be shy in any respect and get snug with anybody. This breed is loving and could be very affectionate with its members of the family. It loves laying on the sofa but additionally loves some quantity of standard train for its lively physique and thoughts.
Personality: The character of Silken Windhound is blissful, clever, and mild. It will get together with nearly everybody, so if you’re in search of a watchdog or a guard canine, this breed isn’t for you. You don’t get to see its shyness or aggression as it’s a pleasant and mild breed.
Behavior: The Silken Windhound likes to be round its folks, so if it’s not given a lot consideration or left alone for a protracted time period, it may need separation anxiousness. It additionally has a excessive prey drive which could result in chasing small animals and birds. So, all the time preserve a detailed eye on them.
Training Silken Windhound isn’t a tricky job to do as it’s a good and clever breed that learns shortly. Although its impartial thoughts could make it cussed generally, So set up an alpha place from an early age, so it is aware of who the grasp is.
Start from primary obedience coaching and as they grasp it, transfer to agility and advance coaching. It will preserve them lively and mentally stimulated.
- The Silken Windhound has a excessive prey drive as a consequence of which it’s not suited with small animals or birds at dwelling.
- The lovely coat of the Silken Windhound is suited to every kind of climate.
The Silken Windhound is a wholesome breed on the whole with a couple of of the next frequent well being issues.
- Lotus Syndrome: In this syndromes, the litter contained in the womb has the hind limbs within the lotus place. The principal explanation for this syndrome is because of the lack of the pet actions. It may trigger bother in respiration and lots of dies earlier than start or few hours after start.
- Deafness: The Silken Windhound can undergo from deafness as a consequence of some an infection. so, in case you really feel like your canine can not hear correctly, take him to a vet for check-up.
The Silken Windhound comes within the following colours:
- Black and Tan
Height: The common top of the Silken Windhound is between 18-24 inches.
Weight: The common weight of the male Silken Windhound is 22-55 kilos and the feminine is between 24-44 kilos.
The worth of the Silken Windhound on common is between $2000-$2500 USD. However, in case you determine to undertake one, you may get it in $300-$500 USD which incorporates vaccination charges and different expenses.
Dog Breed Similar to the Silken Windhound
Visit Doglime for extra canine breed info and their conduct.