Last up to date: August tenth, 2021 by Jessi Larson
Literary canine names are an incredible alternative for a brand new canine companion. Our complete information options 215+ superior concepts to take a look at.
If you will have a love of literature and respect a superb ebook, these are the names for you!
Top Literary Dog Names
For bookworms, there’s nothing higher than curling up with a superb ebook and occurring an journey from the consolation of your own home. And it’s even higher when you will have a brand new canine to cuddle up subsequent to you.
If you agree with these statements, you will need to try these nice literary canine names when naming your pet.
Literary canine names replicate your curiosity in studying and should even showcase a specific piece of labor you get pleasure from. And if somebody will get the identify reference immediately, you’ll know you’re with a kindred literary spirit.
These concepts could be a canine identify from a ebook, a reputation of a human character or metropolis, the identify of an writer you want or a normal reference to writing.
Get prepared to find 215+ literary canine names good in your new pup!
Famous Literary Dog Names
To begin, let’s discover canines featured in literature all through the ages. These canine characters seem prominently in revealed works and supply glorious inspiration for naming your treasured pooch.
Here are a number of well-known canines from literature you simply may recall.
- Argos – the devoted canine within the Odyssey
- Bailey – A Dog’s Purpose
- Baleia – canine companion in Vidas secas
- Bear – A Dog’s Purpose
- Blue – The Sound and the Fury by William Falkner
- Buck – sled canine from Call of the Wild
- Buddy – A Dog’s Purpose
- Bullseye – Bill Sikes’ canine in Oliver Twist
- Carl – Good Dog, Carl
- Charkie – Curious George
- Clifford – the beloved huge crimson canine
- Cujo – from Stephen King’s ebook
- Einstein – Watchers by Dean Koontz
- Ellie – A Dog’s Purpose
- Fang – the lumbering boarhound in Harry Potter
- Fluffy – from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Ghost – Jon Snow’s canine companion in Game of Thrones
- Jip – David Copperfield
- Lad – from the novel Lad, A Dog
- Laska – Levin’s looking canine in Anna Karenina
- Lassie – Lassie Come Home
- Marley – the mischievous canine in Marley and Me
- Max – How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Mr. Bones – companion canine in Timbuktu
- Nana – The Darling household’s pet in Peter Pan
- Old Dan and Little Ann – Where the Red Fern Grows
- Old Yeller – Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
- Perdita – The mom canine in 101 Dalmatians
- Pilot – Mr. Rochester’s canine in Jane Eyre
- Pongo – The father in 101 Dalmatians
- Randolph – Labrador Retriever in A Dog About Town
- Ribsy – companion of Henry Huggins
- Ripper – pet canine in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Sharik – from Heart of a Dog
- Shiloh – canine saved from abusive proprietor in Shiloh
- Snoopy – Beagle from Peanuts
- Snowy – Tintin’s canine in The Adventures of Tintin
- Toby – utilized by Sherlock Holmes when he wants assist sniffing out a clue, additionally from A Dog’s Purpose
- Tock – watchdog of the Phantom Tollbooth
- Toto – The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
- White Fang and Kiche – White Fang by Jack London
- Winn-Dixie – Because of Winn-Dixie
- Yeller – Old Yeller
Dog Names from Literary Characters
Another thought is to select the identify of a personality from a bit of literature you get pleasure from.
These well-known characters have been round for many years. Heck, some have even been on the pages for a whole lot of years.
With that in thoughts, these literary canine names are assured to face the take a look at of time.
- Alice – Alice in Wonderland
- Anne – Anne of Green Gables
- Arya – Game of Thrones
- Arwen – Lord of the Rings
- Aslan – The Chronicles of Narnia
- Athos – The Three Musketeers
- Atticus – To Kill a Mockingbird
- Augustus – The Fault in Our Stars
- Beatrice – Much Ado About Nothing
- Bella – Twilight
- Bond – James Bond
- Charlie – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Charlotte – Charlotte’s Web
- Coraline – Coraline
- Cordelia – King Lear
- Daenerys – Game of Thrones
- Daisy – The Great Gatsby
- Darcy – Pride and Prejudice
- Desdemona – Othello
- Dodger – Oliver Twist
- Dorothy – The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
- Emma – Emma
- Falstaff – Henry IV
- Fern – Charlotte’s Web
- Finn – Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- Gandalf – Lord of the Rings
- Gatsby – The Great Gatsby
- Ginny – Harry Potter
- Gretel – Hansel & Gretel
- Gulliver – Gulliver’s Travels
- Hagrid – Harry Potter
- Hamlet – Hamlet
- Hansel – Hansel & Gretel
- Heathcliff – Wuthering Heights
- Heidi – Heidi
- Hermione – Harry Potter
- Holden – Catcher within the Rye
- Horatio – Hamlet
- Huck – Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- Jane – Jane Eyre
- Jo – Little Women
- Juliet – Romeo & Juliet
- Katniss – The Hunger Games
- Leopold – Ulysses
- Lisbeth – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Lizzie – Pride and Prejudice
- Lucy – The Chronicles of Narnia
- Luna – Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter
- Macbeth – Shakespeare’s Macbeth
- Marlowe – from the Raymond Chandler sequence
- Matilda – Matilda
- Mercutio – Romeo & Juliet
- Milo – Catch-22
- Moby – Moby Dick
- Oliver – Oliver Twist
- Ophelia – Hamlet
- Othello – Othello
- Padfoot – Harry Potter
- Pip – Great Expectations
- Pippi – Pippi Longstocking
- Prim – Hunger Games
- Puck – A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Quixote – Don Quixote
- Ramona – Ramona Quimby
- Raven – The Raven
- Rhett – Gone with the Wind
- Ripley – The Talented Mr Ripley
- Robinson – Robinson Crusoe
- Romeo – Romeo & Juliet
- Sansa – Game of Thrones
- Santiago – The Old Man the Sea
- Sawyer – The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- Scarlett – Gone with the Wind
- Scout – To Kill a Mockingbird
- Sherlock – Sherlock Holmes
- Sirius – Harry Potter
- Snowball – Animal Farm
- Violet – Lemony Snicket
- Watson – Sherlock Holmes
- Winnie – Winnie the Pooh
Dog Names from Famous Authors
Famous written works wouldn’t exist if not for the authors who penned them. It is sensible then to think about historic writers when on the lookout for literary canine names.
The following are a number of the most acknowledged writers in historical past.
- Agatha – Agatha Christie
- Austen – Jane Austen
- Bram – Bram Stoker
- Byron – Lord Byron
- Capote – Truman Capote
- Christie – Agatha Christie
- Dickens – Charles Dickens
- Dickinson – Emily Dickinson
- Edgar – Edgar Allan Poe
- Eliot – T.S. Eliot
- Faulkner – William Faulkner
- Fitz – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Harper – Harper Lee
- Hemingway – Ernest Hemingway
- Homer – writer of the Odyssey
- Hunter – Hunter S. Thompson
- Huxley – Aldous Huxley
- Jack – Jack Kerouac
- Joyce – James Joyce
- Jules – Jules Verne
- Kafka – Franz Kafka
- Kerouac – Jack Kerouac
- King – Stephen King
- Langston – Langston Hughes
- Leo – Leo Tolstoy
- Lewis – C. S. Lewis
- London – Jack London
- Maya – Maya Angelou
- Morrison – Toni Morrison
- Orwell – George Orwell
- Oscar – Oscar Wilde
- Poe – Edgar Allan Poe
- Proust – Marcel Proust
- Roald – Roald Dahl
- Salinger – J. D. Salinger
- Shakespeare – William Shakespeare
- Shelley – Mary Shelley
- Seuss – Dr. Seuss
- Steinbeck – John Steinbeck
- Tolkien – JRR Tolkien
- Tolstoy – Leo Tolstoy
- T.S. – T.S. Eliot
- Truman – Truman Capote
- Twain – Mark Twain
- Verne – Jules Verne
- Virginia – Virginia Woolf
- Vonnegut – Kurt Vonnegut
- Wallace – David Foster Wallace
- Walt – Walt Whitman
Another thought: You might additionally choose the identify of a lesser-known writer you get pleasure from.
Is there a contemporary author you’ll be able to’t get sufficient of? Would their identify make a cool canine moniker?
Dog Names from Literary Words
If you’re a author, you may similar to these literary canine names that tie in completely to the world of writing.
Mythical Dog Names
Mythology can be an incredible supply for distinctive canine names. The names are inventive and include fascinating again tales.
Learn extra about mythological stories and characters.
Final Thoughts: Literary Dog Names
Literature is stuffed with inspiring tales, and as you’ll be able to see from above, inspiration for canine names.
If you’re a bookworm and love a superb learn, we extremely suggest choosing one among these 215+ literary canine names whenever you get a brand new pup. They’re distinctive, cultured and funky.
With so many nice choices, although, how do you decide the appropriate one?
To begin, be aware of any identify that catches your eye. Don’t suppose too exhausting, simply write it down.
Next, take away any identify that you just don’t completely love. Just hold those which can be your favorites.
And lastly, whenever you get your canine, say the identify out loud and see if it’s a match. You’ll know in your intestine whenever you’ve discovered the appropriate one!
Discover Even More Dog Names
If you’re not impressed by any of those literary canine names, attempt our online generator and uncover much more choices.
It lets you kind by your favourite kinds and themes to seek out the right identify in your pup.
We’re assured you’ll discover the identify in your canine on our website. After all, our website helps thousands and thousands of recent canine homeowners yearly.
Popular classes embrace:
How Do You Pick the Right Name?
How are you aware in the event you chosen the appropriate identify in your new canine? That’s an incredible query and one thing all pup dad and mom surprise.
After years of working with new canine homeowners, listed here are some ideas we’ve picked up alongside the way in which. They make it simpler to pick out simply the appropriate identify in your new canine companion.
- Is it straightforward to say? Some names are nice in concept however robust to pronounce in on a regular basis life. Before you resolve on a reputation, make certain it rolls off the tongue. This is very necessary with literary canine names, which can be a bit longer and tougher to say.
- Say it out loud. Can you think about loudly calling in your canine with this identify? If not, then it’s not the appropriate identify and it’s best to transfer on.
- Does it suit your canine? Check to see if the identify matches your canine’s character and look. This is necessary for each you and your pup.
- And lastly, belief your intestine. You’ll know whenever you’ve discovered the appropriate identify!
5 Easy Steps to Teach a Dog Their Name
You’ve simply picked out an ideal identify. Now what?
It’s time to show the identify to your pup!
This may be irritating since you’ve simply picked out an ideal identify and may’t wait to start out utilizing it together with your canine. The solely downside is your pup doesn’t acknowledge it but.
Don’t fret. Teaching your canine their identify is so much simpler than you suppose.
Here are 5 straightforward steps to take to show your canine their identify. Perhaps one among these literary canine names.
- Get some small treats and put your canine on a leash in a location with none distractions.
- Say your pet’s identify in a transparent, pleased, excited voice.
- As quickly as they take a look at you, say “sure” and provides them a deal with.
- Wait till they appear away after which repeat the method 3-5 instances.
- Play this identify sport a number of instances a day and shortly they’ll know and love responding to their identify!
Want to be taught extra about find out how to educate a canine their identify? We have an awesome guide that makes it straightforward.
Other Ideas for Literary Dog Names?
Are we lacking any concepts for literary canine names? Let us know within the feedback under when you’ve got any concepts we should always add, whether or not it’s an incredible writer, fascinating character or a well-known canine featured in written works.
We love listening to from readers and use your concepts to maintain our website packed stuffed with one of the best canine names.
And in the event you do choose one among these literary canine names in your pup, please share that, too.
We need to hear about your canine and the way you picked that identify. Tell us about their breed (if you already know), their character and the way they got here into your life.