Contrary to standard perception, most canines are dog-selective or dog-tolerant and not dog-social. And that’s OK! Dogs shouldn’t be anticipated to love each canine they meet: Most people don’t like each human, both. Well-planned intros maintain everybody secure and glad.
Always keep away from impromptu on-leash greetings, particularly permitting canines to make a beeline for one another. This could be scary for a lot of canines, they usually can change into overwhelmed shortly and change into defensively aggressive, particularly when unable to flee the confines of the leash
Before you introduce two canines
If you’re coping with an aggressive canine maintain off on intros till you will get an skilled reward-based coach on board. Also, some canines are tremendous excitable and leap on each canine they meet; Unfortunately, this may be troublesome, too, if the opposite canine is calmer or doesn’t respect the rudeness. Again, search skilled assist for over-reactivity earlier than trying intros.
- Brush up on dog body language.
- Choose a impartial, safely enclosed location the place canines can work together off leash.
- Clear the realm of toys or different gadgets that will trigger guarding points.
- Keep treats useful however out of sight.
- Minimize/eradicate distractions.
- When intros contain puppies or senior canines use additional warning to stop accidents from bigger or extra exuberant canines.
- No “gang greetings!” Dogs ought to meet one another one-on-one to stop bullying and/or overwhelming the canines and likewise to permit the handlers to pay shut consideration to the canines’ physique language always.
Follow these steps to introduce canines to a different canine:
- Leash each canines at first and maintain a secure distance, i.e., on reverse ends of the area. No retractable leashes. They could be harmful in sure conditions and forestall correct dealing with.
- Carefully gauge physique language as you slowly shut the hole. Only proceed if each canines are displaying they’re on board.
- Watch for stress alerts and act shortly earlier than issues escalate. Use treats to divert consideration and lure canines away from each other. Try once more if canines are calm.
- If all is properly, drop the leashes, however maintain them on a bit in case it is advisable act shortly.
- End interplay instantly if obligatory.
Don’t power it! If they’re not quick associates it’s OK. Maybe it’s not meant to be. Always be your canine’s advocate, and if issues aren’t going properly enable him the selection to decide out. First impressions go a great distance, so begin off on the correct paw to stop points.