These days, most individuals have heard in regards to the pure goodness of coconut oil. But up till a couple of years in the past, I by no means realized I might use coconut oil for canines, significantly that I might use coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin. Sure, I knew loads in regards to the well being benefits of merchandise corresponding to safflower and olive oils. But then coconut oil entered my life in a massively useful method, because of our rescue pup Maizy.
Using coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin — one success story
Due to her hound heritage, Maizy is what I prefer to name a serial sniffer. She dissects the canine parks each spring, following the scents of squirrels, rabbits, different canines, and who is aware of what else. Often, she will get so enthralled with this exercise that she barely responds to her personal identify.
One day, Maizy’s investigations led her straight into an overgrown thicket of weeds and wildflowers … and that led to an angry-looking rash alongside her ears and neck. The remedy used to deal with her pores and skin left it overly dry, and I suppose overly itchy as effectively. Because she scratched, and scratched, and scratched. After a number of sleep-deprived weeks of this prickly, pervasive drawback — and after attempting a sequence of medicated ointments and shampoos, to no avail — we lastly visited a holistic vet.
Related: The Benefits of Cinnamon For Dogs
His suggestion for utilizing coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin shocked me. Treat this difficulty from the within out, he stated. That meant easing up on carbs and grains to reduce the yeast on Maizy’s pores and skin. It additionally meant feeding her a serving of pure, virgin coconut oil each single day, and rubbing some onto her pores and skin and fur. We tried this for a couple of weeks, and WOW. Not solely did Maizy lose that yeasty, bag-o-Fritos “doggie” odor, her pores and skin cleared up and her coat appeared glossier than ever. Of course, the second our different rescue pup, Grant, smelled the coconut oil, he wished in on the motion. So now they each reap coconut oil’s tasty advantages frequently.
Why coconut oil for canines? And why coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin?
So, what are the advantages of coconut oil for canines, and coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin? According to integrative pet care professional Dr. Karen Becker, pure virgin coconut oil has antiviral, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiprotozoal properties. That means it might cut back yeast and fungus on contact, each in and out; and it’s additionally very therapeutic for irritated pores and skin, sizzling spots, abrasions and cracked paws. The “virgin” selection usually begins with contemporary coconut meat, so it’s not subjected to chemical processes corresponding to bleaching or filtering. This makes it secure for canines, cats, and people to ingest in acceptable quantities.
My vet cited Dr. Becker’s work, explaining that coconut oil is wealthy in a medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) known as lauric acid. This substance is mostly discovered within the milk of mom mammals, and one in every of its major features is to spice up the immune system. That’s why coconut oil is so efficient at serving to to clear up bacterial and viral infections. Like pumpkin, it might additionally soothe digestion and upset stomachs. And simply because the vet predicted, it’s given each my canines super-soft fur.
How to make use of coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin — and different illnesses
It’s all the time good to start out small when feeding your pup something new — particularly coconut oil, which my very own canines would gobble up with out correct supervision. At my home, we started with about 1/4 teaspoon and elevated steadily to 1/2 teaspoon per canine, a few times per day.
- Drizzle a bit over your pup’s meals, as a result of coconut oil liquefies simply at room temperature.
- Mold a small blob round drugs or tablets your pet is likely to be in any other case tempted to refuse.
- Rub just a little between your palms, run it over your pet’s fur, and brush evenly. Work the remainder into your personal palms for critical skin-softening advantages.
Nutty Nuggets* — a deal with that includes coconut oil for canines
And right here’s a simple recipe for a no-bake deal with that’s an enormous hit with Grant and Maizy as a result of, naturally, it incorporates … coconut oil. You can refrigerate these yummy bites or freeze them and thaw as wanted. They’re even secure for pet mother and father to pattern. Ummm … not like I’d know something about that.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons natural pumpkin or applesauce
- 2 to 2 3/4 cups oat, spelt, or quinoa flour
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- Powdered peanut butter (optionally available)
- Place coconut oil, peanut butter, pumpkin/applesauce, honey, vanilla and cinnamon into a big bowl. Stir till well-combined.
- Begin including flour about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring effectively after every addition. Keep including till dough combination is well-combined and pliable. If the combination turns into too stiff to work with, add just a little extra pumpkin or applesauce.
- Spoon up the combination in parts which are roughly the dimensions of mini-meatballs. Shape these right into a spherical or rectangular items by rolling between your palms.
- If desired, end by rolling every bit in dry, powdered peanut butter to coat.
- Arrange completed treats on a plate or pan lined with wax paper.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of one full hour earlier than serving.
*A phrase of warning: Always examine along with your vet earlier than feeding your pooch something new. This is very true in case your canine already struggles with well being points corresponding to kidney issues or pancreatitis. While pure and wholesome, these Nutty Nuggets are excessive in fats and must be given as very occasional treats. They aren’t meant to interchange your pet’s common food regimen.
Thumbnail: Photography Placebo365/ Getty Images.
This piece was initially revealed in 2015.